Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Too Many Stories!

I've been sitting here trying to write a blog post for I'm not sure how long. I've started half a dozen and none of them seem quite right. There's too much going on. Too many topics I could write about. So here I am telling you about none of them.

This happens with my writing too. I have so many stories; so many manuscripts I want to get finished that I suddenly get into a holding pattern wondering which one to work on next. A friend of mine who is a disciplined and prolific writer of adult fiction told me to work on whichever is pulling at me the strongest. She was surprised when I told her they all were. Maybe it's like that for picture book writers, I don't know. I do have some non-pb projects that pull at me as well (although maybe not as strongly. Okay, that MG is really wanting to be finished too. Aaaarrrggghhhhhh!!!)

Anyhow, I'll flip thought my notebook, working on each story little by little until all of a sudden I'm writing and writing and...viola, I have a finished draft to type up and start revising!

Tell me, tell me, how do you work? Lots of stories at once or one at a time? How do you choose?

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, Heather. When multiple stories are pulling at me, I procrastinate by blogging. Yet, I know I need a better plan. In my mind, I have decided which story to tackle for today. Hopefully, when I finally do, it will suck me in and I'll be able to focus for a while.
    Good luck to you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one, Ruth! (Not that I have a blogging problem. ha!) I do tend to read tons of non-fiction when I'm being pulled at by multiple projects, which tends to just give me more project ideas. Ah well, better than having no ideas at all!
    I hope you found a story to focus on. If you ever do come up with a good plan let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many writing projects pulling at my mind constantly that an acquaintance recently observed, "You're kind of a slutty writer. You give your love to ALL the projects!" I chalk it up to adult ADHD. I can't stay focused on one thing for very long before my mind starts flitting, so I pick up something else... and before long, I flit to something else. The upside? I have a tendency to finish 2-4 mss simultaneously. The downside? I never know which mss to focus on when it comes to querying, so instead of sending out queries, I just start a new story! :S

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny!!! Slutty writers unite! I've been told I must have ADHD as well. I don't know, I guess I just have a lot of ideas that I believe will work as books. I definitely don't pursue all of them, but there are still enough to keep me way too busy. You have to send out queries though, Veronica, if you want something to have a chance at getting published! If you give yourself a reasonable number to get sent out in a month--say 5, I bet you will get it done. If you want I'll do the challenge with you. :)

    ReplyDelete